PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Tuning Today= Epic Failure

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Finally had a decent day where I could get the Terminators dialed out of the R.120. Started out perfect at 10 yards and said to myself that this should take no more than 30 minutes. Well ended up shooting for 2 hours and broadheads are hitting about 5 inches to the left of my field points. Height wise is perfect but I cannot figure out left and right, adjusted my rest multiple times, NADA. Field points were grouping perfect like normal but broadheads just wouldn't group. I was at a loss and out of ideas, never had a problem with VPA's out of the Accomplice. And I managed to put some serious nicks in every broadhead, to the point were I won't be able to put a decent edge on them. About ready to freak out since the season opens Sept. 15th:nightmare:. If anybody has any suggestions please post them up.

Jason

cartman308
09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Is left and right issues normally spine related?? I get confused......

MidMoJeff
09-05-2012, 06:24 PM
It could be spine related...If you post some details about your set up you should get some good info to go with.

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
R.120 60 lbs 27" dl
Gold Tip XT Hunters 28.5" Insert to Nock Grove
100 grain Tip
Limbdriver rest

I can't believe it would be a spine issue, Steve from Steve's Archery Arrows made the arrows for the bow and he said that is what OT2 recommends for my set-up.

VAHUNTER
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
read this thread on AT.
unless you have a arrow spine problem or other tuning issues with your bow ??
this should help.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm going to try it again tomorrow, hopefully it will go better. That is the thread where I learned how to bh tuned. I am going to run a arrow through paper and see where I am at, maybe the strings stretched after I had it set up?

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Tried paper tuning and couldn't get a bullet hole, tip was always left no matter how I adjusted the rest.

VAHUNTER
09-05-2012, 08:16 PM
i was getting a right tear know matter what i tried. switched from 400's to 350's and shot a bullet hole.

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Boy I sure hope it isn't a spine issue otherwise I will have a Dozen xt hunters for sale

MidMoJeff
09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Your arrows should be the correct spine...but...I have found that every Athens bow I have owned liked a stiffer spine than recommended. I shoot 70lbs 29.5 Recluse. 28.5" arrows with 100 gr tips and a .300 spine arrow. Do u know someone that has a stiffer arrow at the same length that you can shoot?

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Your arrows should be the correct spine...but...I have found that every Athens bow I have owned liked a stiffer spine than recommended. I shoot 70lbs 29.5 Recluse. 28.5" arrows with 100 gr tips and a .300 spine arrow. Do u know someone that has a stiffer arrow at the same length that you can shoot?

Yup I just ran my numbers on OT2 and it shows that it should be perfect, I tried a 90 FP too and same results. I don't know anybody around who has a stiffer one with similar specs. Maybe I should cut the shaft shorter too stiffen it up.

ghak99
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Are you sure you're not getting any fletch contact with the rest or cables?

andycomp
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I had a problem with my broadheads hitting about 2 inches left and my problem was my d-loop. I put a new one on that was a bit longer and my problem went away. I had moved my rest all over and even tried different point weights and arrows with no luck before I got to the d-loop.

CrazyStups
09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Take 2 full turns of the limb bolts and try again.

R120
09-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Did I miss it somewhere? You using 5575 or 7595 XT's?

Eric Jorgensen
09-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Never saw a spine post either.

glock-cop
09-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Ahh whoops 55/75

VAHUNTER
09-05-2012, 11:21 PM

i agree. 400's is what all of the charts said i needed. i had a pile of shafts so decided to give them a try.
i was getting a low right tear on paper.(sign of low spine) but got fantastic arrow flight once the fletching took over.
with BH i was hitting 2"right no matter what i tried. finally switched to 350's and shot a bullet hole and now have the exact POI with my BH's
as i do with FP's out to 60yds.
i am now a true believer that Athens bows prefer a stiffer spine shaft.

glock-cop
09-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Going to start fresh tomorrow, going to walk back tune again and bare shaft tune. And paper then see where my broadheads are hitting. If that fails I will get some stiffer arrows.

Maineyotekiller
09-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Always "Spine up" when shooting fixed blade broadheads. I shoot 400 spine for 3D and 350's in the same bow for hunting.

What vane are you using? I would change the vanes and try it. Thats the cheapest. easiest fix.

I'm shooting AAE Max Hunters because I was having a similar problem..They work great!

cartman308
09-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Going to start fresh tomorrow, going to walk back tune again and bare shaft tune. And paper then see where my broadheads are hitting. If that fails I will get some stiffer arrows.

If I can find a way to ship them, I'll send you a couple GT UL22 pros to try. They are .300 spine but doper light. Cut to 29". I don't know if I have anything to ship them in though.

wisbowhunter09
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree. lower the poundage of your bow to see if it is spine. I bet you need 75/95

glock-cop
09-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I did walk back and bareshaft tuning again today. Went perfect, same tear through paper and broadheads are shooting low and left. But some times I would have one go just left then one go 6" low and once they both hit where I was aiming. Going to pick up half doz. gold tips in 75/95 and cut them at 27.5"

Eric Jorgensen
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I had that same issue with my Muzzy's. Stiffer arrow all was fixed. They were hitting exactly like you said.

MidMoJeff
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Just wondering...are you shooting the vented or non-vented version VPA Terminaters?

Have you tried a different brand of broad head?

I only ask because I had a similar issue with VPA non-vented heads. They just flew erratic...I changed spines, took weight off the limbs, tuned and tuned...and still never go them to fly right. I wanted to use those heads in a bad way...but I just couldnt do it with the flight I was getting...which is similar to what your describing. One would hit low, another would hit left, another would be right on. I switched to other brands of heads and started grouping again. I'm not sure what the problem was.

glock-cop
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
They are the Vented ones. I spoke with Steve just a little bit ago and he told me that with the Aerovanes I have on and the broadhead I am using, that they wont fly decent. Field points are shooting amazing, heck I busted 3 nocks today shooting. It even says that on the Firenock site, either strip the vanes or try a different head. Going to the shop in a little bit to swap strings on another bow and going to pick up some Ramcats or shuttle Ts and see how they shoot.

old44
09-06-2012, 05:56 PM
It sure sounds like a spine problem to me. I use XT55/75 on field points, broadhead hit left. Put broadhead on XT75/95 and hit center, same fletch, Vantec 3" Rt helical on both arrows. This is out of my Ibex 65Lb. 27"DL.

MidMoJeff
09-06-2012, 06:11 PM
They are the Vented ones. I spoke with Steve just a little bit ago and he told me that with the Aerovanes I have on and the broadhead I am using, that they wont fly decent. Field points are shooting amazing, heck I busted 3 nocks today shooting. It even says that on the Firenock site, either strip the vanes or try a different head. Going to the shop in a little bit to swap strings on another bow and going to pick up some Ramcats or shuttle Ts and see how they shoot.

Well, it might be cheaper to change vanes. ;) That said...I have had great luck with Shuttle T's. Hope you get it lined out!

glock-cop
09-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Do you think if I cut my current shafts down from 28.5" to 26.25" that would stiffen it up enough, OT2 says it is a little to stiff, it is just on the edge of the green. I have all weekend to think about what I want to try first but I will get it figured out before opener. On the plus side I replaced the string on my brothers 34 and it tuned beautifully.

Sean1
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
If the stiffer spine doesn't help you may want to look at your draw length if you feel at all bunched up. Nuts&bolts helped me with this one. Still not sure I'm right yet but certainly better. I'm shooting lefty and had issues with bareshaft hitting right. I was too short and now 1/2" longer I am shooting better.

glock-cop
09-06-2012, 10:51 PM
If the stiffer spine doesn't help you may want to look at your draw length if you feel at all bunched up. Nuts&bolts helped me with this one. Still not sure I'm right yet but certainly better. I'm shooting lefty and had issues with bareshaft hitting right. I was too short and now 1/2" longer I am shooting better.

I had Steve help me with my form and it is all good there, I did the tuning where you shoot a fletched and bare shaft at 5 ft at a string hanging on the target and no problems there.

wvmountaineers
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
I feel your pain. My ibex is doing the exact same thing. Broadheads hitting left of field points is a stiff arrow reaction, so I dont think going stiffer is going to help. After exhausting all options, I am getting ready to swap limbs, per the suggestion of a tech at the Athens factory. If that doesnt work, I'm not sure I will keep this bow. I have never had a bow that I couldnt get fp's and bh's flying the same. Bareshafts also fly left of fletched arrows. Very frustrated, especially with season right around the corner.

glock-cop
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Tried different vanes the other day and same results so ruling that out, picked up some 75/95s so going to try that out this morning. Boy I hope it does the trick

glock-cop
09-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Well finally got broadheads sighted in!!! I think it was just the broadheads, tried the stiffer arrow and nothing. Slapped a an original Muzzy and perfect.

VAHUNTER
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I feel your pain. My ibex is doing the exact same thing. Broadheads hitting left of field points is a stiff arrow reaction, so I dont think going stiffer is going to help. After exhausting all options, I am getting ready to swap limbs, per the suggestion of a tech at the Athens factory. If that doesnt work, I'm not sure I will keep this bow. I have never had a bow that I couldnt get fp's and bh's flying the same. Bareshafts also fly left of fletched arrows. Very frustrated, especially with season right around the corner.

switching the top and bottum limbs works on WV Ibex!! i cant figure out why it worked but it did.

gruen99sg
09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Glad you got it buddy
Good luck this fall

Steve Gruenwald
www.stevearcheryarrows.com
815-830-2191

hoghntr
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Well finally got broadheads sighted in!!! I think it was just the broadheads, tried the stiffer arrow and nothing. Slapped a an original Muzzy and perfect.

Can't go wrong with Muzzy!!! I shoot them through everything including Parker Cyclone crossbow. Glad your in buisiness...

glock-cop
09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, broadheads are flying perfect out to 60 yards so I'm set. Unfortunately I chewed up a brand new target that I just bought but it was worth getting these dialed in.

60 yards with a Slick Trick Mag. I normally don't shoot this well so I give the bow all the credit, thing just shoots itself.

Tripleb2128
09-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Broadheads hitting left of fp would mean to stiff of spine weak spine would be placing broadhead right of fp did you have your blades and your vanes lined up on those other broadheads I use small rubber washer to make sure my vanes and blades are lined up but bh hitting left of fp nock a arrow and check your center shot look down the arrow and make string split the arrow in half it should be splitting your riser in half also is your arrow pointing way left of riser if so you could be shooting to long of draw length for you I just went through same problem I was shooting to long DL for 4 years and didn't know it

Tripleb2128
09-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Also did you spin test the terminators? Did they spin with no wobble before you can start really deciphering if its you or the bow messing up when broadhead tunning you have to do few things
1 spin test broadhead if you have wobble don't bother trying to bh tune you'll just pull your hair out
2 are you positive there is no fletching contact if not get some aerosol foot powder and check or you'll really pull your hair out
3 right spine arrow (sounds like you have right spine to me)
4 make sure blades and vanes are lined up so the front and back of arrow are not fighting each other
Check all these off 1st then u can start to figure out if the problem is you or your bow

whack n stack
09-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Glad you got her shooting! We got some deer to kill!!